Addressing Accessibility & Usability (Standard 8)
The Addressing Accessibility and Usability workshop provides detailed information about accessibility, usability, readability and how to design courses with all these topics in mind. Information is provided on Universal Design for Learning, challenges learners may encounter, creating accessible content, and designing courses that can be navigated. It is intended for a broad audience, including but not limited to faculty, instructional designers, administrators, and adjunct instructors who want to understand more about these important topics.
- Recognize the foundational concepts of Quality Matters.
- Apply the Specific Review Standards in General Standard 8, Accessibility and Usability, to online course design.
- Describe your institution’s accessibility policies and services.
- Recognize the challenges learners with various disabilities experience with online courses.
- Develop navigation schema for online courses.
- Develop online content that facilitates readability.
- Create web accessible content.
- Locate accessibility statements for technologies used in the course.
5-6 hours of time per week to spend achieving the learning objectives.