Designing Your Online Course (DYOC)
Refer to the Schedule & Checklist for more information on the workshop requirements. Note that the Schedule & Checklist for Independent sessions may vary from the Schedule & Checklist provided here.
The “Designing Your Online Course” workshop includes an overview of the QM Rubric and provides a framework for participants to design an online course plan. An integral element of the workshop is an exploration of the eight General Standards of the QM Rubric, focusing on learning objectives and overall course alignment. Participants will complete a Course Development Plan. The plan includes all of the essential Specific Review Standards (SRS) with space for how the participant will meet the SRS in their course and what resources they will need.
Synchronous and Asynchronous Online Learning
This workshop focuses on asynchronous online learning — where learners do not have to be together at the same time. Learning that takes place through real-time video or web conferencing tools (e.g. Zoom) is more like face-to-face instruction rather than asynchronous online courses.
For building skills with synchronous online delivery, we suggest:
- The Synchronous Online Teaching workshop. Available as a virtual session for your group and, periodically, on the public schedule.
- Identify the origin and scope of Quality Matters.
- Apply the essential QM Rubric Specific Review Standards to online course design.
- Discuss the structure to be used for organizing your online course.
- Create a course plan for developing your online course.
- Align one module for development.
Ability to Read and Write Standard Business English
- A course you plan to develop for online delivery
Online option: A minimum commitment of 8 to 10 hours per week is recommended for achieving the learning objectives.
Virtual option: A commitment of 7.5 hours to attend the workshop — either as one uninterrupted full day or two half days.